Lithuania: EU member profile
- Seats in the European Parliament: 11
- The Commissioner nominated by Lithuania to the European Commission is Vytenis Andriukaitis, who is responsible for Health and Food Safety.
- GDP: € 36.309 billion (2014)
- The most important sectors of Lithuania’s economy in 2014 were wholesale and retail trade, transport, accommodation and food services (32.7 %), industry (23.6 %) and public administration, defence, education, human health and social work activities (13.9 %).
- A referendum on EU accession was held in Lithuania on 10-11 May 2003. More than 90 percent of voters supported Lithuania’s EU membership and the country joined the EU on 1 May 2004.
- The voters were asked to vote “Yes” or “No” to the statement “I am for Lithuania’s membership of the European Union.”
- Permanent representation to the EU: Lithuania also communicates with the EU institutions through its permanent representation in Brussels. As Lithuania’s "embassy to the EU", its main task is to ensure that the country’s interests and policies are pursued as effectively as possible in the EU.
- Population as % of total EU population: 0.57 % (2015)
To read more go here.
Who is who